Resource documents are listed below alphabetically by topic or referenced service provider name.
- Amazon — Amazon Fake Delivery Email, 13 May 2023 [View]
- Amazon — Amazon Fake Invoice, 21 May 2022 [View]
- Amazon — Amazon Purchase Payment Required, 15 May 2022 [View]
- American Express — Account Restriction Notice, 17 Mar 2023 [View]
- AntiVirus — Norton or McAfee Payment, 15 May 2022 [View]
- Banking — Bank Fake Purchase Confirmation Text, 26 May 2023 [View]
- Banking — Check Washing, 17 Mar 2023 [View]
- Banking — Zelle Bank Transfer Scam, 15 May 2022 [View]
- Best Buy — Geek Squad: Your Device Renew, 23 May 2022 [View]
- Citizens Bank — Citizens Bank Account Has Exceeded its Limit, 23 May 2022 [View]
- Coinbase — Coinbase Wallet Extension Email, 8 May 2023 [View]
- Computer — Apple Mac “ask you” Virus-like Notifications [View]
- Computer — Your Computer is Locked, 15 May 2022 [View]
- Computer — Computer-Related Scams, 16 May 2022 [View]
- DreamHost — DreamHost Fake Email Notification, 5 Apr 2023 [View]
- Facebook — Facebook Imposter Account, 15 May 2022 [View]
- Facebook — Facebook Messenger Suspicious Requests from Friends, 18 May 2022 [View]
- iPhone Theft — iPhone Theft Financial Fraud Scams, 24 Feb 2023 [View]
- McAfee — Norton or McAfee Payment, 15 May 2022 [View]
- Microsoft — Microsoft Fake Billing Email, 5 Apr 2023 [View]
- Netflix — Email: Your Netflix ID is on hold, 22 May 2022 [View]
- Network Solutions — Network Solutions Phishing Email, 19 May 2022 [View]
- Norton — Norton or McAfee Payment, 15 May 2022 [View]
- PayPal — PayPal Shipment Details Email, 24 May 2022 [View]
- Phone Scams — A variety of scams based on phone calling have surfaced. 23 Apr 2023 [View]
- USAA — USAA Phishing Email, 12 May 2023 [View]
- Wordfence — Wordfence Phishing, 28 Jul 2023 [View]
- Zelle — Zelle Bank Transfer Scam, 15 May 2022 [View]
Recent alerts are listed below in chronological order.
- Amazon — Consumer Alert from Amazon, 19 May 2022 [View]
- Tap to Pay — Why Tap-to-Pay Is Safer Than a Credit Card Swipe, 17 Apr 2023 [View]
- FDIC — “Avoiding Scams and Scammers” 8 Oct 2021 [View]
- Federal Trade Commission — Resources and Advice about Scams [View]
- UPS — UPS has a helpful education resource to help consumers avoid fraud and scams. 1 Jul 2023 [Learn More]
- USA.gov — Common Scams and Frauds [View]
- Australia, 60 Minutes, 2 Jul 2023 [View]
This list of resources is provided by the Johnson County Iowa government website. [Source]
- AARP Scams & Fraud – Find news and facts, learn about scams in your area, sign up for free Watchdog Alerts, and learn how you can help fight fraud.
- Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Division – Informs public about consumer frauds and how to avoid becoming a consumer fraud victim
- Iowa City Area CrimeStoppers – Submit a tip online or call Crimestoppers hotline at 319-358-TIPS (319-358-8477); offers anonymity and cash rewards to anyone providing information leading to an arrest, thereby making the community a safer place for all who live or work in the area
- Iowa City Police Department: Preventing Identity Theft – Iowa City Policy Department: Preventing Identity Theft. Adapted from “National Crime Prevention Council” these tips help ensure that you do not become a victim.
- Iowa Department of Aging – Listing of some organizations to contact for assistance and reporting fraud, identity theft, scams and other issues.
- Iowa Fraud Fighters – Scams aren’t limited to just one type of fraud. And swindlers are targeting more Iowans than you may realize. Find agencies to help and the resources and tips you need.
- Federal Trade Commission Scam Alerts – Browse scams by topic, learn to recognize warning signs, and sign up to receive news about recent scams.